Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Ramblings

First of all. I’d like to give a hearty “Bellbottoms!” to Bob the definition of friend.

“Big Ups” to MOL Jr. for actually leaving comments, and for his riling of the Harry Potterettes on his blog. It’s also a nice way to get more hits on your blog.

Congratulations to Rafael Palmeiro on getting his 3,000th hit. I think I still have his Topps “Future Stars” card somewhere. I remember him slapping hits all over the field when he started off with the Cubs. Of course they traded him because they thought he wouldn’t hit for power. What bothers me is this thinking that he doesn’t deserve to be voted into the Hall of Fame. He is one of four to have at least 3,000 hits and 500 HRs. Only four have accomplished this feat in all of baseball. Four! And people don’t think he belongs. For two sides on the Palmeiro issue check out Buster Olney (For the Hall) and Skip Bayless (Against the Hall). I personally side with Buster on this issue. I agree that Palmeiro is not the greatest of his era, and there are players with lesser stats that I would pick over him. But, perhaps that’s our fault. Rather than over estimating his stats, maybe we’ve under estimated Palmeiro in this juiced ball era.

ESPN began there 50 SportsCenters in 50 states Sunday. Fifteen minutes into the first state (Mass.) and I’m already sick of the Bryan Adams song (“Open Road”?) they are using as the theme. Actually I was sick of it, by the second promo I saw. Why they didn’t pick a song for each show that represents that state I will never know.

The Cubs are hitting and pitching well simultaneously. Yes, I’m scared that I just jinxed it with that last sentence. Of course they beat up on the two worst teams in the division, but it’s a start.

It’s tough rooting for the Cards when they play the Astros or Braves or whoever is in contention with the Cubs in the Wild Card race.

The last thing I expected to hear from Tim Brown when he retired was his interest in NASCAR.

Being a cancer survivor myself it’s tough not wanting to root for Armstrong in the Tour de France. But being a kid of divorce, I think him leaving a wife that stuck by his side in the tough times was a punk move.

Yes, I am actually happy that the NHL is back. I really don’t watch much of the regular season, but I do love the playoffs.

Does anyone really care about the ESPY’s? When sports have their own championships why do we even need the ESPY’s? I mean other than Matthew Perry, who was glad to remind the public he still exists.

Has a quote on a bumper sticker ever actually caused someone to change their life?

Where are these women that apparently love bald men?

The greatest TV title sequence is the one for “Rockford Files.”

If you haven’t yet started changed your internet browser from Explorer to Firefox, you seriously need to get with it.

Remember when “Collectibles” simply meant baseball cards and comic books?

Why can’t I find a really good enchilada in LA?

My youngest sister is coming into town tonight. She’s staying for a whole wonderful week, so the posts may be slow in coming this week. I can’t wait to show her the greatest record store in the world: Amoeba.

2 comments:

MOL Junior said...

oh how i miss amoeba.

nice trade by the cubbies...gerut is a stud if they would only play him over hollandsworth.

love the pre-roid pic of raffy!

Bradford said...

Dusty won't play Gerut. That would make too much sense.