Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Whir Whir Chuka Chuka Bomp Bomp Psst

You know when you’re just going through your day, and suddenly a song you completely forgot starts running through your head. There’s no rhyme or reason. The song just sprouts up out of nowhere. Then you get distracted by trying to find that song. Of course you find the album it’s from and find more songs you forgot. By the time it’s all over you’ve just wasted half the day. Obviously this happened to me yesterday. I was just minding my own business when this song popped into my head. The odd thing is it’s a children’s song. For those old enough you might remember it. You also though most likely had to grow up in a Christian home. The song comes from a 1977 album called The Music Machine. It was about the fruit of the spirits. See, the kids would put something in the music machine and a song would come out. It was my second favorite album when I was in 2nd and 3rd grade. What made the album even greater was the album art and the booklet that came with the LP. I would sit an listen to the album while reading along and just taking in the pictures.











You can imagine my disappointment when searching for the CD I came across this cover. How disappointing.












I said this was my second favorite album. The same group put out another album called Sir Oliver’s Song. It had the same artwork, but even catchier songs. This album covered the 10 Commandments. It also had an emphasis on the different countries of the world. Nearly every song was sung by a kid supposedly from a different country. My two favorites were “Kalepo” and “Tell the Truth.” I’m sure “Tell the Truth” explains my love of old school R&B. Then the whole move to South Carolina and attend Bob Jones thing happened. We couldn’t listen to that anymore, particularly the up tempo Sir Oliver’s Song.

On one of the whims I get every now and then, I actually bought the albums even with the crappy album art. Someday I’ll be able to afford the original vinyl. I don’t know the reason of the post other than I hope you were able to experience these albums in your youth. It’s also funny how your brain will just regurgitate these things from your youth.

I apologize that I was only able to post clips of these songs. When I finally get the albums, perhaps I'll post a couple of them.

4 comments:

MOL Junior said...

yesyesyes!!! i LOVED these albums when i was a kiddo! music machine was the best, and fuck the nashville suits for changing the cover. my favorite song was the one about the invisible puppy dog.

Keymaster said...

BRAD! You've made my day! "Patience" was one of my favorites and that song still pops into my head every now and again. This made me so happy.

Back in my youth our church children's choir did the Music Machine musical. It was great. The guy next to me fainted and minutes later I tossed my cookies all over the kids in the bleacher row in front of me. It was total chaos. Great times. The only thing better the the Music Machine was Psalty.

Anonymous said...

I loved me some Music Machine back in the day. Brad, can I borrow this album next time you're up in NoHo?

Unknown said...

Music Machine, Music Machine
It's no other gadget that you've ever seen..
Whatever it is you want to sing about
Put something in it and a song comes out!!!

I'm a little sad to say that I loved this album too.