Thursday, August 04, 2005

Ballpark Checklist

At work this week some co-workers (K-ball, Brian, etc.) were discussing most states visited vs. lived in, and most countries visited. I was in the middle of the pack on all the lists till I brought up ballparks. I knew I had this category. It was made all the more evident with the "Here goes Brad on baseball again!" looks I got. So, here's my list so far. 15 in all and one to be added next month. You may ask how could an Ohio boy not have gone to Jacobs Field. Believe me I've tried, but numerous things have happened each time I've tried. But that's for another post.

Ballpark Gravyard and one on life support:

Fulton County Stadium:
I went here in '84 I believe. It was a dump then too.

Qualcomm:
The people made up for the park. Also got to see Olerud of all people hit for the cycle.

Riverfront:Cookie Cutter Dump

Busch:
Decent Cookie Cutter, but in reality still a dump, because it's still a cookie cutter stadium.


The New Guys:
Great American:
It's not a bad ballpark at all. Great sight lines, and surrounding area. I just keep thinking that something is missing. It didn't feel Major League, but more like an expensive minor league park.

Petco:
Great new ball park that really fits the city of San Diego. I also loved the Gas Lamp District surrounding the ballpark. San Diego is great city and this ballpark makes it even better. If they could just do something about the uniforms now.

Pac Bell (SBC) Park:
It's as great as they say. My Dad and I showed up hours before the game and just walked around taking it all in.

Camden Yards:
It's not so new anymore, but it's held up very well. Not a bad seat in the joint. And you absolutely must get the BBQ. The Fans suck though.

The Dumps:
Oakland (McAfee) Coliseum:
Dump in a Dumpy area. Feared for my life. Watched Zito retire 16 straight.

Yankee Stadium:
I realize this is a baseball landmark, but it's a dump. I have never been to a filthier ballpark in my life. Trash was literally stacked up in all the corners. How can such devoted fans treat a landmark this way?

Shea Stadium:
This is actually an underrated ballpark. It's all the chop shops surrounding the park that make it dumpy. It's the same nice layout as Dodger Stadium. Much cleaner than Yankee Stadium. The fans maybe tend toward abnoxious but they love their Mets, and I respect that.

The Mediocre:
Dodger Stadium:
Nice sterile stadium. Great weather. Good luck getting a seat right behind home plate. Fans are lackluster. The reserved level seats behind home plate though give you a great view of the park. Along the lines you're too far away, and forget the bleaches unless you enjoy risking your life.

Angel Stadium:

Not a bad place. The fans are energetic but morons. I hate the Thunder Sticks, and Rally Monkey. Even though they sold the team, there is still that Disney sheen to it all. And you know how I feel about Disney.

The Classics:
Fenway:
The classic AL park. Yes it's cramped, and there are seat where your view is blocked. But the area around it is great. There's the Green Monster. Fans know their baseball. I probably would've had a better report with the fans if Bob hadn't a worn his Mets hat. I thought for sure we were going to get shanked.

Wrigley Field:
Come on it's heaven on earth. It has everything you could want in a classic ballpark. Well, except for any World Series banners hanging anywhere. Still, it's the best place on earth to spend an afternoon.

Coming in September, Safeco Field will be added to the list:

1 comment:

MOL Junior said...

you are welcome to dallas any time...MOL and i will take you to a game at the greatness that is the ballpark in arlington. i can get us free tickets.

in 95 me and 2 buddies (hicksie and pedro) visited 7 stadiums in 7 days. the itinerary:

cinci
cle
tor
det
chi (bleacher creatures!)
stl
kc

wrigley was the best experience...a part of me liked detroit for the aura, too. busch in st louey was by far the worst.