Monday, August 01, 2005

A Hall of Fame Weekend

Hall of Fame weekend is one of my favorite times of the year. Not only do you get to relive the past of the baseball, but it’s also the trading deadline. So while watching the HOF speeches you can check the bottom line and Baseball Tonight for the latest trades. Of course this was a less than thrilling trade deadline, but that just left me more time to enjoy Sandberg going into the Hall of Fame.

Having watched quite of few Hall of Fame speeches, I was rather surprised at Sandberg’s. There were the standard thank you’s to fellow teammates, coaches, family, and fans, but the underlying message was a calling out of current baseball players. He said he wasn’t calling out anyone specifically, but come on. When you say, “If this (HOF induction) validates anything, it’s that learning how to bunt, and hit and run, and turning two is more important than knowing where to find the little red light on the dugout camera,” who are we supposed to think this is reference to, but the chest tapping and kiss Sammy Sosa. I also found it odd, how few Red Sox fans there were in comparison to Cubs fans. Did Boggs winning a Championship with the Yankees really sour the fans that much? Sorry, dumb question.

In non-HOF news, that team of mine lost 3 of 4 from the D-backs. Sunday, they were crushed 13-6. Which brings up again what I’ve thought for two years: Last year the Cu- “that team” signed Maddux as a way of saying sorry we got rid of you in your prime. Well it was a mistake. Tell me who you would rather have Maddux or Clement. The signing of Maddux made us unable to sign Clement. I miss his goatee, even though it seems the catcher Barrett is trying to carry on the tradition.

“That Team” was actually one of the few teams to make a move at the trade deadline. I would like to think that my blog had something to do with them trading for Lawton, and I will actually keep thinking that. So, they now have an actual leadoff man. I just wish they would have done this earlier. How long have we been without a leadoff man? That’s right two years. What made the difference in 2003? The trading for Kenny Lofton.

In other non-baseball moves, I won the Heisman Trophy last night for Tennessee, in the incredibly fun game NCAA Football '06. I had a pretty outstanding season including the SEC and National Championship, and breaking the NCCA record for most touchdowns thrown in a season (78). I'm considering going pro next season (tomorrow) but am leaning towards staying the full four years. Why? Becuase I respect the game!

Also, why does the blogger spell check list "blog" as a misspelled word? That makes no sense.

No comments: