Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Dear Chicago Cubs Management,

In case you haven't noticed your team still needs a center fielder. You've spent a lot of money in last ditch effort to save Hendry's job, yet you still haven't filled a crucial spot. I know you've said that newly signed Soriano will most likely play center field, but is that really a good idea. He has speed and a strong arm, but he kind of stunk playing right field last year. A lot of his assists were because he botched the original play. I know I'm simply a researcher for a TV show and have no experience running a baseball club, but I have a couple suggestions that I think could work.

My first suggestion is a bit of a long shot, but something could be worked out. Ichiro is in the last year of his contract with Seattle. I seriously doubt Seattle will resign him. So, why not trade for him. I know he plays right field but I'm pretty sure he could play center better than Soriano. Also, he's a legitimate lead off guy. This way you have Ichiro leading off. This would result in the following line-up.

1. Ichiro CF
2. Soriano LF
3. Lee 1B
4. Ramirez 3B
5. Jones RF
6. Barrett C
7. DeRosa 2B
8. Izturis SS
9. Pitcher

In the National League, how does that line up not fit into the top 5? Hitters 1 through 4 are all potential All-Stars. I'm not sure what you would need to trade to get Ichiro, but this could perhaps be a possibility. I do though have a more realistic and solid option.

One of the rumors floating around is Philly trading CF Rowand to the Padres for a relief pitcher. How do you not throw your hat into the ring and see if you can get Rowand. We have relief pitchers up the ying yang. I know that brick wall might seem a like a career ending injury waiting to happen for Rowand, but is this not the kind of player that Cubs fans love? He's not going to be a major offensive threat. He will most likely crack his skull open hitting the brick. Still, he's a solid defensive CF that I think would like to come back to Chicago. It would only take one or two relief pitchers to get him. He's also going to come at a decent price. I think Rowand would be the best option here, and am surprised you haven't jumped all over this.

Please consider these as suggestions not criticisms. I realize you did a lot this season to improve this club. I just don't think you are completely finished yet.

No comments: