Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Power Pop Sweetness Overload

Before I left for Dallas, I mentioned overspending on a few CD’s. Well, it has been like a mini-birthday the last two days because they’ve all arrived in that time. Yesterday, though, the mother load came in. On my binge, I bought all 7 CD’s in a series called Teenline. From the late 70’s to the early 80’s there was a deluge of power pop bands recording songs on 4 track in garages across the US and UK. The bands would then get their songs out to the public on vinyl and cassette. The guys at the Hyped 2 Death label have collected these 45’s, LP’s and cassettes, remastered them and put them on CD for the listening public. That means I now have 7 CD’s with 20+ songs each. That’s a hell of a lot of power pop. Once I get through all of this maybe I’ll post a cream of the crop song. Power pop may be too sweet for some musical palates, but it is still genius there are labels like this that are making an effort to preserve these rare songs. Perhaps there's a label restoring lost classics of your favorite style.

No comments: