Saturday, May 12, 2007

For Those That Were Concerned...

28 Weeks Later is as good and in some ways better than 28 Days Later. You perhaps might have been concerned that with a new director and new writer that the sequel would blow. You wouldn't be the only one. I had those same concerns, and after seeing the movie last night I can say confidently that you can put those concerns aside.

Like Dawn of the Dead did for Night of the Living Dead, 28 Weeks Later does for 28 Days Later. 28 Weeks later the Rage virus that wiped out most of England has been eliminated. NATO forces have set up a cordoned off area of London to begin rebuilding and repopulating. Of course it all goes horribly wrong. We then follow a small group of people trying to survive not only the horrors of the infected but the military's method to ensure the infection is contained. As with 28 Days, the horror isn't always from the monster's pursuit but from the humans. 28 Weeks Later is relentless with some truly terrifying set pieces. It's not for everyone, but it will be the best horror movie you see this year. Some might not like the final shot, but I enjoyed it. Here's hoping there is a final movie to conclude the trilogy. I guess that would make it 28 months later?

1 comment:

Anne Marie said...

Man Brad, I have to admit, I felt let down by this movie. I didn't like 1) The impossible to follow Blair Witchy sequences 2) The heavy-handed "Green Zone" commentary (more zombies, please?) 3) That when the movie ended I thought that what I had seen had been a really long, clunky set-up for the movie I was expecting...and then the credits rolled.