Friday, June 01, 2007

Some Musical Notes

Nothing much is going on, so I thought I would throw out a couple albums that have recently caught my attention.

First off, I stumbled across the pure joy album of Lucky Soul's album The Great Unwanted. With groups like the Pippettes it seems reinventing the 60's girl group sound is the upcoming niche of choice. Lucky Soul fits into that category, but there sound isn't twisted with modern day irony or modern musical flair. From the opening track "Add Your Light To Mine" to the closing "The Last Song" it is simply an album chock full of great happy/sad love songs. My current favorite track is "Struck Dumb" with its timpani in the chorus. Unfortunately there is no video for that song, so here is one for the title track "Add Your Light To Mine." I apologize now for getting the song stuck in your head.



On the other end we have the new album from The National called Boxer. This is one of those albums that you have to let grow on you. It's not as uptempo as Alligator. This albums just creeps in on you till it won't let go. It's in the running for album of the year.



Also, next week Rhino is releasing an Afghan Whigs retrospective called Unbreakable. As a hardcore fan there are songs I'd like to be added, but that's always the case. It is though a very good selection that covers their whole history even their Up In It album and Uptown Avondale EP. For those who might be interested in a nice starter for the Afghan Whigs I highly recommend it.

Finally, do you remember...

No comments: